Thursday, November 8, 2012

Baking today

Your message about baking (and eating) was very appropriate for me today as I did some myself.. I told you about making green tomato mincemeat ( page 174 KISS COOKING) to use up some green tomatoes in the fall. It turned out tasting good but bottled up for future use. So today I made a small batch of pastry and with it, made mincemeat tarts - just enough to have a good feed and see if the mincemeat would be ok in tarts which is the way I like to eat it. I am totally happy with the mincemeat and actually surprised it tastes so good not having had much faith in my ability to make my own! So I shall be making a larger batch of tarts later on so that I can indulge my passion. But I am wondering what kind of sauce we used to have on the warmed tarts - was it a custard sauce, or rum sauce or hard sauce or maybe it was just ice cream??  I walked to the Bin Store and bought some red and green cherries and pecans ready to make a batch of refrigerator cookies - oh, how I love them - freshly baked from rolls hidden cleverly in the freezer! Yesterday I had lunch with my friend Sue and pleased to get out and do something different. We had a good talk, and I showed her my pictures from the trip. She gave me  a gift of an owl ornament and a very practical owl bookmark which I am using already. And I gave her a gift of a piece of art done by fibre artist Pat Findlay ( haha) She was genuinely thrilled Patty, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to show off your work - it make me feel so proud. Tomorrow I go to the Doctor in Huntsville for my annual - Harry and I will both go to Huntsville, as we will be going back through Sprucedale to pick up the flower arrangements on his Mothers grave site to store for the winter. His sister was supposed to get them but unfortunately her husband has been hospitalized and she can't get up there to do it so Harry volunteered. Actually her husband sounds in rough shape with respiratory difficulties with a few days even spent in the ICU. Both her kids are off to university now - one in Ottawa, and the other in Peterborough so she is basically alone now - I think feeling the empty nest more than usual as she really focuses her life on the kids. On Saturday we go to North Bay to attend a church bazaar as guests of Aunt Evelyn - she has called maybe three or four times already about us going so we sure better go - we will pick her up and go the grave of Uncle Walter first before going to the church for the tea and bazaar. On Sunday I plan to attend the local Remembrance Day service - we have for many years gone to North Bay because Mike was in the volley team but this year he is not - actually he is out hunting right now but says he plans to return on Sunday morning in time to join his unit at the cenotaph and then over to the Mess. Sounds as if we are just gallivanting about but it is unusual for us to be so busy all in one week.So time to call it a night - take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment