Thursday, November 15, 2012

Goodies

Finally made up a half batch of the cheese crackers.  Very unusual and very rich.  Too rich for David, and I find I can only eat one or two at a time.   I think I'm going to keep this one, but only use it for special occasions.  You talk about the expense of ingredients, Beth, and I think the expense of the cheese has to be considered as well.  I keep Craisins on hand, and eat them with my porridge, (high roughage and fruit) so always have a few to put in things.  But David doesn't care for them, so I rarely use them in baking.  And I usually have small bag of pecans in the freezer.  I'm amazed at how long nuts will keep that way.  Mind you, sliced almonds have about a 3 year limit.

We've been using our new bed for several months and quite liking it.  However, do we ever miss the heater that was in the waterbed!  Climbing into a cold bed is awful.

Otherwise, life goes on.  Recovery is "two steps forward, and one step back".  On Tuesday, at my stitchery group, we were talking about the effect of age.  One lady, in her middle 80's, has been told that she is in remarkable physical shape for her age, and she looks it.  Despite surgeries associated with cancer, as well as the chemo, she is now considered recovered, and  looks fabulous.  Another woman, closer to my age ( a bit younger) but widowed just over a year ago, is looking old, and even a little frail.  Knowing what I do about those two, and other women who were there, I have to think that lifestyle plays a bigger role than we think--especially socio-economic status--and I believe there is research that supports that.

For today, I have some committee work to do, then some sewing.  The last couple of nights have been spent vegging in front of the tv, something I haven't done in years--if ever.  When I was younger, I usually had some hand sewing to do while I watched shows.  Last evening, I was quite grateful to find a drama that was interesting, rather than the stupid reality shows that have been the only thing I could concentrate on lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment