Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cooking Prunes

My surgeon has recommended that I eat prunes.  We bought some and two mornings in a row I ate a few of them--slowly, reluctantly and with great displeasure.  So today I tried to cook them. ( David had remembered his mother boiling them.)  I had to check several books before finding instructions for simmering them for about 1/2 hour, so that's what I did.  Of course, then I forgot them on the stove, and they almost boiled dry.  In any case I ate 6 of them.  It was marginally better than trying to eat them out of the package, but I think this is going to be an uphill battle. The colour, the texture and the taste-Y-u-u-c-k!!

I have seen Intarsia, and understand that it requires a tremendous amount of skill to do well, but when done well it is quite beautiful.  When I was working, one of the nurses had a husband who did i,t and she would sometimes donate his work for charity auctions.  Very attractive.

After my painting workshop yesterday, I had wanted to have a quiet putter-y day today.  I ended up doing a bit of hand sewing while watching tv. The only thing I could find that was the least bit interesting was an Extreme Couponing marathon.  What was interesting was the teenage boys who are into this, even to the point of taking control of the family grocery shopping and using the family as almost servants in getting the job done.  I really only mention this because it gives you an idea of how boring and desperate my life can  sometimes be.

This week, David will be seeing the opthamologist about having his second eye done. His vision has changed a fair bit over the past couple of years, and I think it is really time.  This means that I have to go along to drive him home.  I think we'll both feel better once it's done.

Football game is still on.  David has been watching all evening, so no big poker tournament tonight. I'm pretty well beat after two days without a nap, so a glass of wine and to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment