Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cooking

The Marzipan slice wasn't cooked as well as it might have been, but otherwise worked well. Fairly expensive to make ( 5 eggs and two cups of butter, along with other ingredients), and very rich, but David and I have just about finished the 9" by 13" pan.  I had hoped to put half in the freezer, but since it wasn't quite cooked, there was no point.  Right??  Strange this week, as we were out three days in a row picking up odds and ends at the grocery store.  I figure the three bags of odds and ends cost about $125.00.  I'm finding that I have to buy fruit and vegetables more frequently than once  per month, and am now going to have to re-jig the budget.

Otherwise it is cooking and recipe time.  I went through the shelf of recipe books I have, and ended up throwing out most of the magazine type of recipe book, including almost of those I bought through Weight Watchers.  There is only one that I have used in the last 5-6 years, so all of the rest are gone.  I think what I'm experiencing is the outcome of not being able to address those spring time urges to clean up the nest and make a fresh start.  Started writing down the recipes that I've accumulated over the past while, either off the internet or from friends.  Going through the recipe box I discovered the recipe for David's traditional birthday cake from years ago. It wasn't really a cake but rather a mix of whipped Cream and canned pineapple over a graham wafer crust with a middle layer of an icing made with eggs.  We had originally found it in a little self-published recipe book we got while in Kapuskasing ( published by the ladies on the base, I think). I had thought I had lost the recipe at some point when we were in the house on Woodside, but here it was, neatly printed on a little card.  I haven't told him, and wonder if he even remembers.

I've also been cleaning out closets, and then was "forced" to go out and buy a couple more T-shirts.

Today I am grateful for having Blue Cross coverage, and for having a husband who is willing to help with the "grunt work" of sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment