Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What a day

My appointment in Gravenhurst with Eye Surgeon was this morning. And today may have been one of the worst stormy days so far. Wind gusts, squalls, white outs and sub zero temperatures made for a treacherous drive. My appt was for 11 am - an hour and 45 minute drive usually. We left the house at 7:30 so to give us time to crawl along the highway - and crawl we did for the first about 50 km behind a plow and sander and us going approx 40 to 50 Kms for most of that way not seeing a thing but blowing snow all around. Some brave ( or stupid) souls attempted to pass only causing poorer visibility - the big semi trucks were the worst offenders. We arrived at the Drs at 0945 so in spite of the poor drive we made it in fairly good time. I actually got into his office at 1130 am - this is a busy office! Surprise  - after all my worry and anxious moments and sleepless nights, he tells me that I am doing very well - no signs of new bleeds, no hole in right retina as the Opthamologist thought, and no intention of doing surgery on the cataract as my vision is still good, and I can still perform all functions of daily living without undue stress. So until this changes, he is not one to do surgery just because. Now, I left his office feeling relieved to hear his assessment of my condition ( after a very thorough examination I might add) It gave me a new perspective about things - mostly that I have been worrying more than I should have been about my eyes. That is not to say that I must not be aware of future signs of bleeding or detachments because they may happen and I must take immediate action. So time will tell I guess, and in meantime I shall carry on carrying on.......
The return drive was wicked - we had heard of highway closure around Huntsville. I was really on pins and needles and especially with dilated pupils, it made it all the worse. But slow as she goes won the day for us...just North of Huntsville the South bound lane was closed because of accidents and the traffic was lined up for mile after mile, but we going North seemed to sail along nicely and by the time we reached Sundridge, it was sunny and clear. Go figure!  Surely a day I would not want to repeat anytime soon. And I even got to shovel when we got home - what is a day without shovelling!
So I am tired and worn out and the bed looks awfully inviting tonight. I started The Beautiful Mystery by Louse Penny last night and although anxious to read some more, I may not last too long.
So with Pati's wonderful news and now, my positive news, all is well. Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment