Sunday, January 11, 2015

Is this an opportunity?

So you have five years to sort things out a bit.  This might be a good time to make some changes. Do you have any idea of how to approach it?  Do you still have access to an EA Program?  I know how helpful they were when I was first thinking of retiring. David also got help through the Union. A close friend, a few years back, on her own, she started working with a financial adviser, and they worked out a long range plan for her to adjust her lifestyle, ( she really didn't want to give up anything, and I think sometimes they disagreed).  They, sort of, worked out a plan for her retirement ( which is this spring).  Your bank might have a suggestion of someone who works cheap, or an agency that would help, perhaps on a sliding scale.

I guess my point is that you don't have to face this alone--nor should you. And, probably, the best time to start the process is now.  The sooner you get started, the less painful it will be.

The other side of the coin, is that you now have a time line for freedom.  Have you thought of anything you might want to do?  Do you have a tea cup list?  (Remember, none of us has a bucket list, as none of us plan to kick the bucket)  My first year, I slept a lot, and I've heard of others doing the same thing.  I guess we are so sleep-deprived when working that we have to catch up somehow.  
The other thing is that every volunteer run agency is looking for people newly retired to grab them before someone else does. They're like vultures.  Beware! 

I see my surgeon on Tuesday.  My range of movement is quite good--better than before the surgery.  But I don't seem to be gaining a lot of strength-despite the almost daily exercise.  The physio says to keep at it, and try to do my exercises three times a day.  I have trouble getting them done once!!  Besides, it was her last day of work before jetting off to New Zealand for 6 weeks, maybe she wasn't thinking clearly.  Me?? Exercise three times a day??
Well, breakfast is over.  Best go look for my weights.  Not likely!

No comments:

Post a Comment