Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Pay day again

And that means grocery shopping.  To amuse ourselves, we plan this carefully.  Sales at the grocery stores start on Friday, and the ads come out in the Thursday paper, which means running out of food on Wednesday becomes a problem.  I have the list I've been keeping all month, and it's a long one.  I go through it, and prepare another list of things we must buy today, when we head out to pay the bills.  Then we'll go through the ads tomorrow and prepare three shopping lists for the three grocery stores around here.  Then we'll head out Friday, and I'll have to fight off the other old women for a scooter at Superstore and WalMart.  Most people don't know about the one at Safeway, but we just "cherry pick" a bit there, so I don't often ask for it.  We have a couple of things to get a Home Depot this month, so that adds an extra flourish to the whole event. I sometimes think that this excursion is the highlight of our month.

I've arranged to visit my friend, Shirley, this afternoon after shopping and bill paying.  We've been trying to get together for over a month, and the problem is really mine, as she is somewhat confined to her apartment, with some serious visual problems.  It'll be nice to see her, as it's been awhile.

P.S.  3:30
David was a little "ants-y", so we did the bulk of the shopping today.  I get my little scooter, and David pushes the cart, so when I say "we" did the shopping, it really is almost a "Royal we".  There were a couple of things that had a limited number under the sale price, and I can get a share and then take them through the cashier's line on my own, but the bulk of the work falls on David--and it is hard physical work.  Our cart was so full and heavy that he couldn't push it out into the parking lot, but had to leave me at the door with it, while he got the car.  Then, when we got home he had to unload everything.

So, this sort of lead to a discussion about whether we should maybe shop twice a month instead of once.  I fully realize that no matter how often you go in the store, you spend more than you plan, but maybe we're getting too old for the labour involved.

When I phoned Shirley, at 2:55, to say I was on my way over, she said it was too late to visit as she would have to go down for supper by 4:00.  ( Say what!??) So here I sit enjoying my cold Dr.Pepper--probably much more than I might have enjoyed the hot tea she would have served me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment