Thursday, October 22, 2009

Be - actually I make Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Jelly can be made by following the recipe on the pectin powder or liquid. In this case you boil berries, and then filter out the juice and then make the jelly. But I make Cranberry Sauce which is good enjoyed fresh (kept in fridge) or sealed in jars. I like the taste of the entire berry - pulp and all. I'd love to hear what you do Cathy? I put my sauce on most anything including toast.
To make sauce - all I do is clean berries, put into a pot with a very small amount of water, boil until cooked, with sugar added to taste. I do not put too much sugar as I like it tart. During the boiling process I often use a potato masher to squish the berries. As it cools, the natural pectin in fruit and the added suagr helps to firm it up. We most often freeze the fresh berries because we get them in bulk ( ie many many berries hand picked) When I want some for muffins or to make more sauce I take out what I need. They freeze beautifully. But I have also made the sauce and sealed into jars and these turned out OK as well.
Speaking of jelly, this morning I opened my last jar of jelly that you gave me Patty this summer - I have been rationing it and enjoying every mouthful.
And another funny thing was receiving in the mail as a general mailing, the Annual Catalogue from EGLI'S Sheep Farm. I thought of our day trip there and to Dryden and still wonder why we drove so far? But still more interesting that they have such a broad distribution.
Anyway, enjoy all the news and check every day to see if there is a posting. Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment