Monday, October 12, 2009

Calm before the storm

We've decided to cook the turkey early so that we won't have to eat with a whole bunch of dirty pots all over the place. I can sure see why Mom always said that she missed a dining room.

Too bad about the hay bale. (snark snark) The rest of that show, except for the embroidered picture wasn't bad at all--some very nice pieces--I loved the Medusa, and I wish you could have seen it, Beth. Some of these things make me laugh at myself ever even considering that I might have the right to call myself an artist--and that Medusa is one of those things.

Yesterday was a good day, although I worked very, very hard. The morning was beautiful and sunny with no snow over night. The drive out was fine except when Dianne called me on the cell while I was in the median lane of Lagimodiere on the north side of the intersection of Lagimodiere and Fermor in heavy traffic. Thank Goodness Rose Anne was able to access my purse and answer the cell phone. I have made a personal vow not to use the phone while driving, and I have every intention of sticking to it. Later we went through a Rubbermade tub full of stuff from Dianne's Mother-Leonida. Then Dianne and I started sorting through a big bag of Victorian jewlery I had been given. We de-constructed the jewlery, and tried to save all of the beads. There were a couple of lovely Art Deco (Art Nouveau??) pieces with delicate pastel beads that I have absolutely fallen in love with. Most of the beads are Victorian Jet, and well worth saving. Both of us worked for aobut 5 hours, with a short break for lunch, then after supper, I spent another 4 hours on it. My hands sure are sore this morning. Now you need to know that the curator of the Crafts Museum had gone through it all before I got it and had assured me that there was nothing worth preserving--most of the pieces were damaged to start with.

On the drive home, when I was tired, we ran into two ice pellet squalls. I ended up slowing down quite a bit, but the road wasn't really slippery, so we were okay. I sure made some of the people behind me angry.

Well, Beth, I sure hope you have a better time at Mike's today. I think you were looking forward to this a bit more than the past two days. I'm half hoping we can get a card game today, even if it is the fast-paced kids game that Loren tried to teach us last time we were all together. Take it easy, Cathy, the best part of celebrating ( left-over turkey casserole??) on Sunday is having Monday to recover. I know what you mean about life getting busy in the fall, after most organizations have a summer break. This winter sees the end of two of my most demanding volunteer responsiblities. While I think I might welcome the "down time", I still shudder to consider having nothing to look forward to but spending endless days in the house looking at walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment