Saturday, October 24, 2009

Second try

I had planned to use Certo for my cranberry jelly, and put it up in 4 oz jars to use when there are just two of us. I was jsut hoping that someone knew whcih jelly recipe to use off the Certo sheet. Since I've been trying to eliminate beef from our diet and limit the amount of pork, we eat poultry 5-6 times a week and I'm desperately trying to find new ways of serving it, that don't use tomato sauce. Lately I've been trying whole berrry cranberry sauce and finding it quite nice. So maybe I need to do a little of both. Cranberry sauce for tomorrow and cranberry jelly for the rest of the year.

The Museum Board I'm on has been wrestling with a similar problem, Cathy, but much less aggresively. The curator has been there forever, but took maternity leave acouple of years ago. Since she has come back, she appears to have lost some ofher focus. She has always been a micro-manager, and has come oright out and said that she doesn't trust her volunteers to do things "right". ( The Board are all volunteers, you realize) Well, the only way she can hold things together, with the added responsibilities on the home front, is to exert rigid control over everything. This means that it is much easier to maintain the status quo than explore anything new. We have lost a few good Board members because of her rigidity. There has been conflict and one or two instances where the Board had been actively defiant of her wishes. The current Board Chair was getting to the point of actually initiating some sort of review, when she ( the Chair) was diagnosed with a particularly rare and nasty form of cancer this summer. Fortunately, we were offered the opportunity of receiving the services of a mentor through Art Stabilization Manitoba. This is going very well--so far. But I'm now realizing that there is nothing I can do to change anything--I get lipservice to my suggestions but no action. My term is up in February, and at that point I'll probably sever my relationship with the organization. Too bad.

Saw the endodentist yesterday, and she confirmed that the tooth is actually fractured, so must be removed. ( My dentist had asked for the consult in hopes that maybe it wasn't, and could be saved.) She actually put a microscope of some sort up between the tooth and the gum so that she could visualize the root of the tooth. I'm not looking forward to any of this, but hope it can all be taken care of before I go to Regina to teach in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment