Friday, October 29, 2010

Actually working!

Seems like forever since I had a chance to play in the studio. I Decide to play wiht someof hte gelatine prints I did to demonstrate the technique. So far, it looks like this will just become a small contribution to my crap quota. I had used adhesive spreading combs while making them and I've been FMQ'g along the resulting lines ( more or less) Of course, I picked the best of the bunch to experiment on. It is mainly black with some red on a white background ( very little white). I'm quilting with scarlet rayon thread, in, more or less parallel lines. I'm finding that my ability to do FMQ'g in straight or curved lines needs some work, but then I've been doing a lot of very fine stippling recently, which involves a whole different skill set.

During the recent retreat, I found out about two different opportunities to enter exhibitions, both of which may turn out to be travelling exhibitions. I think I might want to explore both of these further. So I'm thinking about what to enter. Many years ago I started apiece that I call "Snow and Red Berries". It, too, became part of my "crap quota", but the image and concept has stuck in my brain. Just before I went away, I did a piece in my painting class that brought the whole idea back to the forefront--a silly little piece that I ended up calling "Red Berries in Snow". I know my skill level has improved over the years, and now I have couple of other techniques that could work with this, so I'm seriously thinking of starting the piece all over agian. I know I could do it better, and it would fit the theme, ( Canadian Content), and a new piece could be made into the dimensions that are required. The theme is more important than size, for the second show--Pathways--but my concept of quilted labyrinths could work quite nicely there.

So my muse is wandering around the studio. Now I need to convince her to sit down and start talking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment