Sunday, October 17, 2010

What a day!

When I was planning for my volunteer shift at the art gallery in Selkirk yesterday, I was mainly concerned aobut having enough hand work with me to keep me busy. No worries! There were 47 people through the gallery in the five hours I was there. These weren't people who walked in , walked around and walked out. These people stayed and talked and asked questions. The fellow trying to teach a watercolour class was blown away, and he volunteers there regularly. The norm is probably closer to 6-8 people in a day. It was avery busy day and I was exhausted when I got home.
Very gratifying , in that I was able to get a lot of general feedback on the three pieces I have there. One in particular got a lot of attention. It was a great chance to talk about art quilting and what sort of thing qualifies as art quilting. The show contained both very traditional stuff and the very art-y stuff. A good range of styles--and skill levels. ( enough said about that!) One piece was hand-embroidered traditional "Red Work", and then hand quilted-the most tradtional piece there. I was lucky enough to meet the lady who made it, and was able to verify the info I was handing out. A good thing, as I was just going by my knowledge of the the tradtion and how it was done. Turned out I was right.
So now I'm having a cup of coffee and waiting for Amber to come to pick me up for the crafty fund raiser at Dalnavert Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment