Saturday, July 30, 2011

Good thoughts

We are just finishing the packing for our weekend away.  Setting this up and executing it is almost like a military campaign--and all for three days away.  I have to plan all the menues, then write down all of the ingredients, then shop, then measure out everything and put it in disposable containers for travelling.  I have to pack all of the utensils that might be needed.  Then I devise packing lists based on where the item might be located--fridge, freezer, or pantry.  These lists are used as a check off and then taken with us to re-check when we pack to come home.  Then I have to go through the same sort of process for clothing, followed by the same process for "stuff".  Since we plan to drive back through the States, I also have to plan for border crossings--there are some things I don't want to try to take across a border--either way.  The third type of list is a sort of  "to do" list broken down into what needs to be done on which days, leading up to the event.  Did I mention that this was for 3 days away?

Complicating the whole thing is the painting.  Both David and I have had reactions to the primer he has to use in some areas, so we had to plan out "to do" list for the painting, leading up to applying the primer just before we pack the car and leave.  Now, you must understand that the final primer has now been applied to the back foyer.  The same foyer we need to use to pack the car.  A bit of poor planning there!

As part of all of this, I planned meals for today to use up the last of the perishable food that we aren't planning to take with us.  Screwed up a bit there as well, and my next job is to make sandwiches to take with us.  We've never done this before, but figure on stopping at Pine Grove for lunch.

So what does all of this say about me?  A bit anal, you say?  Maybe I just see a reflection of my business experience?  So, for today, I'm grateful for the type of life that makes me a bit anal in planning for events like this, where there are frustrating  consequnces for doing something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment