Saturday, January 7, 2012

No Lotto Max here--again

A couple of years ago we had a fellow in to look at our stuff.  He wasn't interested in the china or silver but gave us over $700.00 for the wooden, glass-doored cabinet the stuff was in.  Older furniture may be worth more than you think--if you can bear to part with it.  Last year (? or more) I tried to sell some of my china through "Things"--the consignment shop of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet.  There just isn't a market for it right now, as it isn't dishwasher/microwave safe, and younger women don't want to have to wash the dishes by hand.  So my Royal Doulton dishes ended up at the lake.  We still have a full service of Royal Albert in the garage. Good luck to you in all of this, and I'm grateful it isn't me dealing with it.

Finally put the Christmas dishes away, and the tree too.  Some of the dishes are getting chipped--it was a cheap set.  But the process, as well as conversation with David's sister, made me thnk about traditions and what we pass on to our children.  We had Salmon loaf for supper last night and that lead me to thinking about all of the recipes we've talked about and exchanged on this blog.  Most of them came to us through Mom, or one or two, David's Mother, and how many of them will pass along to another genration?  Even Christmas breakfast has changed.  The old cinnamon buns are still around, but in different forms ( yeast dough vs sourdough vs baking powder biscuit).  Amber's children love Toad-in-the-hole for Christmas breakfast, although they call it something else.  This has come to them through Darren's Mom, and will probably become their Christmas tradition.  I remember having it as a child, but I don't remember it being one of Mom's recipes.  Grannie?? or, for some reason, I'm thinking of the Harlands.  Either way speaks to a strongly English tradition, but Darren's background is Eastern European.  Already Amber has shared one or two of his Mother's recipes with me--and I can see the Shipp family traditonal recipes passing along, but maybe not the McGrath's.   Loren is more likely to use recipes from his childhood, but less likely to pass them along to his children.

Anyway, it sounds as though I'm babbling today.  Must get back to the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment