Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Almost time to relax

David has been helping me with the Christmas shopping.  We were out for a bit yesterday, and again today. We're down to one more gift certificate. We tried for it yesterday, only to find that the store was closed Mondays and Tuesdays.  It is a tiny shop near Corydon and Stafford, so a bit of a trek for us.  Since we were in the neighbourhood, we went in to the Stoneware Gallery on Corydon.  We have a little extra money this year, so I bought myself a gift-- not one, but two more Kathryn Koop coffee mugs.  I have now filled all five of the hooks over my fridge. I was buying one every year until a couple of years ago when we just couldn't afford it.

On Sunday Loren brought me an Orchid plant, when we were at my reception.  Fortunately, my friend Rose Anne was also there.  She used to raise orchids for sale, and was able to give me some basic info about caring for the little thing.  One thing was to always water from the bottom and only if it was getting dried out.  While we were out we bought a little pot for it,with a bottom watering setup,  but we couldn't find the correct type of soil/moss.  So for now it sits in the plastic pot it came in.

When I saw the orthopedic surgeon, he recommended Tylenol Arthritis and Voltaren.  I have been  using the Voltaren from a little sample I had, but bought a bit more today.  The Tylenol Arthritis is just a stronger strength--650mg instead of 500--but only to be taken every 8 hours.  I took a couple when we got home and it seems to be helping.  My hands especially are a little more mobile.  After we got home from shopping, David took his computer into Best Buy, as he still hadn't been able to download Windows 8.1.  While he was gone, I attempted to wash the dishes, and got everything except the big electric grill done. (I'm embarrassed at how long some of them had been there)  But after finishing the washing I just sat with my hands in the hot water for awhile.  That may have helped them become a little more mobile as well.  It sure felt good!

We talked today about me finding a way of preserving my range of motion, and improving my respiratory function and general strength and endurance as well, prior to surgery.  I am rapidly loosing all three, and have to stop the downward spiral, and I know I can't do it on my own.  I will probably have to enroll in a fitness center like the REH-Fit, or the Seven Oaks Wellness Centre, but given my current status, may need a session of Physio first.  We have decided ot talk to my doctor next week and see what he recommends.  I am not looking forward to it in the least, but recognize the necessity.  Bah! Humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment