Sunday, December 8, 2013

With a little help from my friends

Today was the artist's reception for my show.  We had ordered, and paid for, party trays, but the order was screwed up . By the time we got it sorted out and made it out to Selkirk it was 10 to 1, with the party supposed to start at 1:00.  The lady at the gallery was concerned but not too upset.  So we frantically worked to get everything set up, and then sat and looked at each other for over half an hour before the first person showed up.  Four other small groups showed up almost right away, and most of them stayed until the end.  Lots of conversation, and praise for the show from people whose opinions matter to me and whose opinions I trust.  Four pieces were sold, bringing the total to 7, in just the week, with another week to go.  There was lots of food left over, and Loren took a couple of the trays, but David and I will be eating a lot of veggies and fruit over the next few days.  Since the cubed cheese was left at home in the fridge, I'm going to have to count on David to eat it, as I had some earlier this week and the results were not pretty.
One lady, a well-known local artist told me that my prices were too low.  Then she commented that maybe she shouldn't be saying anything because her pricey, award winning works are rolled up on the shelf in her closet.

David and I have had dealing with the gallery lady for a couple of years, but while sitting chatting, we found out that she and her husband had been at the base in Marville at the same time as David, and possible Trenton as well. She and her husband have lived in many parts of the world, and it seems funny to think of them settling in Selkirk, Manitoba.

Now we are both tired.  Getting ready for this has left the kitchen in a mess, and it's just going to stay that way until I'm ready to deal with it.  And for the privilege of saying that, I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment