Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sleep

I got my results from my sleep disorder tests today.   It seems that I do have MILD sleep apnea, but I also have a kind of insomnia (I can't remember what she called it...)  She said both could be treated, but that we should treat them each separately to see which treatment is most effective.  I opted to go for the insomnia first as it is medication rather than mechanical.  I will be on a very VERY low dose of a sleep aid.  I am not to take it everyday in case I start to tolerate it and need higher and higher doses  Right now I would be so grateful to sleep through the night.  I told her I never sleep on my back 'cause I always have trouble breathing a make loud noises and wake myself up.  I was surprised when she told me that I had spent about 40 minutes on my back during the test, but she also said that it was apparent that my body seem to recognize that there was something wrong with that position because the longest I spent on my back was just under 12 minutes.  I was also surprised to learn that most people stop breathing while sleeping  The normal range is 3 to 5 times per hour!!!!    I will pick up the pills tomorrow and see how things go.  I have to make an appointment with my own doctor to renew my blood pressure pills,  but I will wait until I have tried the sleep pills for a while.  I'll let you know how things go....... hopefully after sleeping for at least 6 hours straight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment