Thursday, February 13, 2014

Still not able to post from my laptop

I sent along a little joke about Canadian weather,  Please forgive me, but the Devil made me do it.  David is out blowing snow.  Out of bed, no breakfast, and out in the cold, while I sit here in my nightie talking to you.

We are still finding out of date food.  When it came time for me to ice my Melting Moments for my guests on Tuesday ( only three of whom mad it in the blowing snow), I discovered no lemon  juice, as we had thrown it out.  What to do-what to do.  Lime juice!  OH-oh. Best before Dec 2011. Another morning when David was up and out in the cold before breakfast. 

What this is leading up to is a realization that we have to change our method of storing and buying food.  We are still thinking that buying in bulk is cheaper, but not when you end up throwing it out.  We also tend ot store the bulk items in the basement, and that is where the big freezer is.  The basement stairs are a problem for both of us, although David says that he thinks he is moving a bit better since he started making numerous trips up and down the stairs lately.

We are already moving towards more frequent shopping trips, because of my desire for fresh fruit and veggies.  So I think we are going to buy in smaller amounts but shop more frequently. I am already watching for weekly meat specials and buying when the price is right.  Meat I can freeze.  I can't see us abandoning the concept of planning/preparing for a monthly shopping, but over the past couple of months that shopping has become much smaller. And I want to plan my meals a little further in advance, and make sure we have, at least, one week's supply of meat in the upstairs freezer.  We'll see how it goes.

Yesterday we off to the doctor for a TwinRex booster, then both of us were quite dopey for the rest of the day.  I hope today goes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment