Friday, February 28, 2014

When? Oh when will it all end?

Today is much warmer.... only -23, with wind and snow showers.  I don't know where we will put all the snow in the yard.  Rodney has cleared us paths a couple of times, but we know have hills you could slide down in our yard.  At least we can still get in and out.  Although Wednesday was a challenge.  I came home at lunch to pick up Jim and the ground drift across the highway had made the road disappear.  Good thing I was familiar with it and knew where I was.  From the highway to the lane was like skiing moguls. One hard drift after another. When we went back to town, you couldn't find the trail I made coming in.  The wind and snow had covered it completely.  I emailed the people in Whitemud and told them that if the roads were like that after work.  I wasn't coming to rehearsal.  They must have taken it to heart, 'cause rehearsal was cancelled.  The wind had died down enough to see the highway, but the road to our land was now one long, deep drift.  -34 with -43 windchill... there was no way I would have headed out again.  I am taking one of my remaining vacation days today.   I have nothing planned, but there were so many things wrong with the work this week that by yesterday my brain was hurting.  I got some semi-good news.  I had taken 4 days VRW (voluntary reduced workweek..... they deduct your pay from your cheque all year to make up the four day)  Anyway, it seems through their error they had been deducting for 5 days.  Since it was their error, and not mine, they are going to repay me the money.  I could have taken the day, but this is like found money.!  Yesterday we had an all staff meeting at work.  At the end of it each employee was presented with a gift.  It was a picture.  It had our name (Cathy) and where we worked and then phrases about us.  All written in different directions.  Mine had things like .... Actress, Performing arts, Sense of humour, dedicated, Cat Spit Holler, (our home)  Rickards Red Ale (my favourite) etc etc etc.   They have been gathering information from us about our co-workers for months, but we didn't why.  It even came with a thank you from the goverment for over 15 years of excellent service. (as Elizabeth said,  15 years of excellent service... the rest of the time was mediocre.....Her placque said "wild sense of humour" and "bad puns")  Even Sandy got one and she has only been casual for 2 months.  I don't know if I mentioned that we have ordered 3 new windows.  The cost is added to our hydro bill for the next 5 years.  You can also buy a gas furnace the same way, but not an electric one...we have no access to gas here.  Anyway, the kitchen, our bedroom and the big living room will be replaced.  That will leave only one original window upstairs.  It is in the bedroom that Kik had and it is still in very good shape.  I am planning on doing nothing today but putter.  I need the down time.  Enjoy your trip Pati.  I will wrap up in a blankie and think about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment