Sunday, November 8, 2015

What a weekend

Friday morning around 9 am a wicked storm blew through - not forecast but nevertheless arrived with fierce winds and torrential rains blowing sideways - lasted for about 30 minutes but causing severe damage. Trees falling, hydro poles ripped from the ground, and major power hubs annihilated. We were without power from 0930 am Friday until this morning, Sunday, at 1:30 am. No power, no water (which means no flushing toilet), and no heat. I plugged in a rotary phone that I keep on hand for times like this so I knew communication would be possible. I also charged my cell phone in the running car to have available as well. All around I could hear the generators chugging away. I was so tempted to try to pull our generator out of the shed and see if it would start. But I could not do it myself - far too heavy and awkward to manage - so there it stayed. In the end, the big freezers were OK, and even the above fridge freezer, but I spent the morning cleaning out the fridge.  And all day today catching up with the results of the power outage. The small bar fridge leaked all over the floor, and had to be managed. One good thing was that Harry drove to the next town where hydro was on ( on a different grid) and bought a large pizza for our Saturday night supper. And he had a little microburner that he lite and put a pot of water ( bottled water bought at the grocery store in the next town) on for me, and I had enough hot water to make half a pot of coffee in my french press (before the fluid ran out). I am not a really happy camper right now. 
Anxious to hear how your Art Show was Pati. And glad you got through your Remembrance readings Cathy, even if a few in attendance caused some distraction.  We plan to attend the local Services at the Legion on Wednesday.  Mike has gone out to the bush again for deer hunting this week. Hope he will be successful for the meat he looks forward to,
Time for bed. Hope the week to come will be more favourable to one's morale - even if snow is in the forecast!  Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment