Monday, May 16, 2016

Today's adventure, or new experiences

We have been pulling things out of the far reaches of cupboards to get ready for the garage sale with Amber ( June 4th).  This morning we found a silver tea service.  I don't know how long it's been there but it's just black.  Later I was talking to my friend Gail on the phone and mentioned it to her. She suggested that we take it into one of those places that advertise on tv that they buy gold.  I mentioned it to David and he suggested that we see if there was anything else we could take in, and that we do it today.  So we went through  the silver chests and found a few spoons that we thought might be sterling.  Gail told me that it didn't matter what condition or colour any of this would be, that they would check out the content and anything they bought would just go to the "melt".  So we did it.  The tea service turned out to be silver plate over lead and they had no interest in buying it, but they bought enough of the other stuff that we left with a cheque for $165.  It was a busy place.There were three staff, and they were all busy looking after customers.  Gail had also told me to inquire about any silver plate cutlery that they might have,and to buy it for her.  Well, I was honest with the young clerk and said that Gail P----- had asked me to ask about it.  "Oh we know her",  then to the woman who was obviously in charge " Do we have anything for Gail?" I think they knew her well. The other woman tells me that they keep that junk in a bucket in the back.  She brought it out and rummaged through it saying that she would pick out anything that she knew Gail would want.  I had to pay her the price that they had posted for copper--$0.01 per gram, or $6.18 for a plastic grocery bag half full.

We are certainly running into new experiences this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment