Saturday, May 18, 2019

Cold is definitely the right word

I'm back to wearing my blue jacket, and heavy sweaters in the house, and using an extra quilt on the bed.  And Yes, the furnace has been on almost every day so far--I think we missed one.

There has always to been some sort of guideline around here that you put your bedding  plants and vegetable gardens in on the May long weekend.  The nurseries have been very busy the last few days, and you see people around hauling plants and trees etc in their cars.  To be fair, I admit that our rhubarb is up, and the Nanking Cherries have bloomed and lost most of their bloom in the wind and rain.  We even have some peonies sticking their heads out.  But then I think I read somewhere that this sort of thing is triggered more by the amount of light than by the temperature.
 I had read an article in the paper, about how often our recycling is contaminated, and how China is now refusing to buy it, creating a recycling crisis is Canada.  The article mentioned the plastic containers that mushrooms come in as a big problem, and I have always used them.  I thought that any rigid plastic container was good.  Not so. From now on we're putting them in paper bags. We've used our reusable grocery bags for years, and have talked about me making some light weight bags for bagging veggies, instead of using the plastic bags they have in the store. David has tried taking a re-usable container to the Bulk Barn, and today we took a bunch of them.  No problem.  They weigh it for you when you go in and mark the weight on the lid.  That amount is then deducted from the weight of the full container.  We also wanted a wee snack while we were there, so I had them weigh my re-usable Starbucks coffee cup, and we took out 4 small cookies in that.

We decided to have a sausage and onion casserole for supper, even if that meant going out to by wild rice this morning. Now my sausages are cooked, and I'm waiting for the  to cool down, so I can cut them up and mix them in. For some reason, I forgot to prick them before putting them in the microwave.  I had thought that they would explode, but guess not. 

I mix 1/2-1/3 cup wild rice, sometimes a bit of white rice, 2-21/2 mild Italian Sausage links, crumbled and browned off, although this time it was cooked in the microwave and chopped up, 1 package French's Onion Gravy mix, and mix in 1/4 can of French's Crisp Onion Toppers.  (This used to be Durkee French Fried Onions).  I bake it for about 40 minutes at 350, and then take off the lid and sprinkles another 1/4 can of onions on top.  Back in the oven for another 20 minutes.  With a bit of a salad, makes a very tasty meal.  The recipe can also be easily multiplied as often as you need to, although the cooking time might have to be increased a bit.

Okay.  Sausage cool, time to get busy.  Have a great weekend.  I'm looking forward to my two special shows this evening on tv--Doc Martin and Midsomer Murders. On PBS out of Detroit.(Shaw channel 81  I think ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment