Monday, May 13, 2019

How to spend a day, Part 2

Not nearly as exciting as Part 1.  After repeated failures to start the tiller, I resorted to going on Poop Patrol.  With 2 large dogs this is ongoing.  Usually in the spring we can get 7 or 8 large pails in one day.  Yesterday, I only got 3/4 of a pail.  Maybe they are going into the field again.   That would make my yard much easier to navigate, especially in bare feet. We also took the chain saw and cut off a lot of dead branches from the Nanking Cherries.  There were a lot and I am not sure how much will survive.  I want to wait until the leaves are out before cutting anymore.  \With it so cold and dry not many leaves are out yet.  It is supposed to be warmer today, but still no moisture in the forecast.  We are pretty desperate here.  The pastures are not growing which means the cattle are still on winter feed, and it is running out.  Lots of crops are in, but nothing growing because of the weather.  Pati, I read your comments on the pickeral.  It is an easy fish to fillet and should not have bones in it.  I am wondering if you were eating Jack instead.  It is much harder to fillet and always has bones left behind.  Today our plans are to plant the potatoes and onions, even if it is too dry.  Jim got the pump primed yesterday, but it has a leak and he has to shut it down to silicone it.  He figures it was so easy to prime yesterday he will have to pay the price today when he tries again. But it does work and we will water the garden soon.  That should bring on the rain.   We left the car outside the last two nights, but that didn't work. The garden will be small this year.  No carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, or swiss chard.  Yeah, I know.  Just wait and I bet some of that goes in.  I want to try and establish another herb garden this year.  Mine slowly died off from lack of care but I want to tray again.  So many plans for such a short summer. Time for some tea.  Enjoy your day

No comments:

Post a Comment