Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Crazy weather can drive me crazy

It never seems the same even during the course of a day - rain, fog, humid, sun, cold, and warm and now threats of frost. At least no real snow such as we have seen in Alberta/Sask, thank goodness!
I have been so chilled for almost a week now and wear sweaters and coats and hats - but I shall not put on the heat in the house...yet! The house plants are in, and the flowers outside will have to face the frost as I am still trying to take them down from the hanging baskets and out of pots to get ready for winter. The amazing thing is my miniature roses in the garden. They are blooming again with one beautiful yellow rose open and four more buds on that one plant. I fear I shall not see them open, though. And I still have to winterize the plants (cover with hay etc)
I visit with Daisy and family this morning. They are up again for a week. I baked some pumpkin cookies ( Pati, this is your recipe) and bought some small colourful Fall decorated paper plates at Dollarama yesterday to put them one. 
Harry has made real changes in the yard this past week - we have taken down all the huge fences that once were used for the beans and pea vines etc and have replaced them with wooden raised box gardens. We are emptying the soil from all the large pots as we go around cleaning up to fill these boxes and get them ready for planting in the Spring. A huge job really and now I have pots laying all over that I have to try move and to organize for over winter. I have mentioned before that I must ensure that the entire space is suitable for shoveling of snow and I like to keep it clear around the house so i can access the roof for keeping it clear as well. My goal for this winter is to ensure the roof is cleared every time it snows so that we will not be faced with the accumulated ice and subsequent water leaking issues of last Spring. I hope I am able to fulfill this lofty goal haha!
Mike has asked us to his house for Thanksgiving (to go on the Saturday of next weekend) His current lady is gluten intolerant. There is a store/bakery here in Sundridge that makes gluten free food so I called them yesterday and ordered white bread to make the stuffing and a pumpkin pie to take for dessert. The cost is outrageous but I had to do something quickly. In our shopping rounds in Huntsville I have spotted gluten free foods mostly at Freshco   One can buy most anything for a price, and I have experimented with the gluten free "flour mix" I bought, and tried tea biscuits, and muffins etc - the texture is a bit different but still palatable. I still have much to learn about it. 
So I shall now go and have some breakfast for myself and get ready for another full day. Hope all is well with you folks. I have been trying to follow some of the election rhetoric but find it bothersome - I still can be considered an "undecided voter" at this point I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment