Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Man plans, God laughs


Beth, you don't have to order a pour-over unless you want de-caf.  There are usually at least two blends on brew all the time.   If you do want de-caf, they can make just about any blend they carry, including the espresso that I love.

The big meeting today was cancelled with an e-mail at 8:00.  The poor fellow who was in charge ( my friend Garth, whom you met Beth) was stuck with $50 worth of sandwiches that he had ordered for 9:00 pick up.  I was stuck with a big container or cookies.  I had left them in the car, overnight, to reduce temptation, but they're in the basement freezer now.

David and I ended up going for a drive.  We headed out to Lockport for lunch at A&W, taking our books along.  After a nice rest eating and then a few minutes reading while we tried to finish the root beer, David asked to go to the see the quilt store I had talked about.  I told him that I didn't feel right going in without buying anything.  She didn't have what I had suggested buying, but she had several types of thread, and I bought a spool of 4 of them to try out.  Then I found some Thermofax screens, which I love having and using.  While I was looking at those David saw a 36" quilter's ruler with a special gizmo on it to hold the ruler in place over a cutting mat or table edge.  Yep, had to have it.  Finally, on the way home we stopped at the wine store and bought another kit.  If we get it going this week, it should be ready for Christmas.  Pinot Grigio rather than Pinot Blanc, this time.  The older man was there this time.  He is the father of the fellows that operate it now, and used to run the place on his own with occasional help from his Mother, who had run the place for about 30 years before he took over.  Three generations operating the same store.  Very nice to see.

I dropped David off on the way to Starbucks, then came home to find him entertaining his sister.  She told us that her oldest step-daughter ( the one who had the liver transplant a few years ago)had surgery recently, coded on the table, and now has had what they think is a bad reaction to the pain meds she's been receiving, and is quite confused and disoriented.  Evidently this is a family issue, but that info hadn't been passed along.  That family hasn't had a fair shake, medically, ever.  For the past few years, the other daughter has been having severe problem after severe problem.

Loren is off in Europe.  The past three days in Barcelona, and heading now to San Sebastian for three days, and then off to Paris.  He is posting regularly on Facebook, but mainly pictures of food--not much info.  Very pretty young guide though.

Tomorrow I go out to St. Claude for the afternoon.  I think I'd said Holland, but I was wrong.  Taking my weird pieced top I mad last month to the machine quilter, and then a meeting at her house.  Sometimes I feel as though I was on a treadmill.  Going here and there, running from event to event.  The car is packed, and I hope for a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment