Monday, January 18, 2021

Another emotional day

 But the reason was quite different.  Because of space problems in the office, (we've bought far to many books since this whole Covid stuff started), we've been faced with having to consider looking through all of the family photos that we've been saving for years, and purge.  There had been a small laundry basket full of them, along with several small loose leaf books that I've accumulated over the years. So the afternoon was spent on that task, and it resulted in a 5 gallon pail just about full, as well as a huge pile of shredding for David to attend to over the next few days.  I was rather ruthless, but still saved a small pile of special events and people in my life.  My strategy was to ask myself if any of the younger generation would remember  the events or people, or would care about any of the photos.  There was even one in the basket of Ivy Jenner, with Beth and I as very young children.  I wonder if Cathy had ever met her or even heard anything about her, as she and Uncle Tim moved to BC years ago.  I wonder if they ever did get married.  I remember being told, as a child, that they weren't marrying because she wanted to keep working, and, at that time, would have had to resign her job had they done so.  I found one of Grandpa Hughes and Mom as a tiny baby. There were a few of Mom and I, when I was a baby, or toddler, but none of the later ones of the three of us ever had Mom in the picture.  I have to guess that she took the picture, but can only remember Dad with a camera. She was so young in those pictures and always looked so happy.  How sad that things ended as they did.  In any case the whole process left me a little weepy and somewhat sad, but the job needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment