Thursday, January 7, 2021

That makes three of us here

 I agree that the weather is crazy!  I don't really want the cold, but I'm wondering if Mother Nature is softening us up for something. Above zero in January??  We have had some real aggression issues with Lucky. I thought he was going to kill Rrain.  I cried when I thought we would have to send him back, since he is a sweet heart with us.  (except maybe when he wants to play and thinks that snapping at my hands is the right way to do it)  We talked to a dog trainer and she gave us hope.  She gave us an idea of what is going on in Lucky's brain (or lack thereof) and ways we can deal with him.  She said to not even try to introduce a new person for at least a week and then do it very gradually. She said it would be at least a month before we might see some improvement in him.  He is confused and scared and is trying to protect where he feels safe.  We have until January 16 to return him for a full refund, but we have decided to give him a fair try.  If we have to return him later, and forfeit our adoption fee, at least we will have tried our best.  He really is so loving with us. He loves the snow, and going for a walk, but he hates it when I turn around to come home. How he knows? As soon as I turn around he grabs his leash and pulls on it and tries to toss it in the air.  But again, the trainer had some good suggestions on that.  I had been taking him on longer walks, but she said do a short walk twice so he gets used to the process.  And carry dog cookies in your pocked and when he rebels, toss one in front of him in the snow and "lead" him home.  He will learn to associate a treat with good behaviour.  It is going to be a long month. Rrain is hoping that she may be back at work after they review our lockdown on Friday, but they are also citing an increase in cases because of Christmas, and still don't have numbers from New Years.  It doesn't matter what they decide.....we live with it.  I'm looking forward to a family Christmas in July 😊.  Keep safe

No comments:

Post a Comment