Friday, June 11, 2021

An offer we couldn't refuse.

 The patio is basically finished, and they have been paid.  I didn't realize that there was a bit more to be done, when I offered to pay them, but the boss has said he will come back for a bit tomorrow, so we'll see.  I'm quite pleased.  It looks good, and my table is now solid.  The access to the garage also looks good.  All that needs to be done is to have soil added over the edging that is around the patio, but the base for that has been finished.

We had been casually talking about the sewing machine lately.  I needed a spool of thread for the current charity quilt, and the only place I knew it could be found was at the dealership where I take my machine for servicing.  To focus our deliberations about the  machine, I had been wanting to find out what might be available and what sort of money I was looking at, so David went with me.  We were surprised to  find that we needed an appointment to get in, as they were basically closed for anything other than curbside pick-up.  The owner saw us fumbling with the phone outside and quickly invited us in before closing the door and locking it. There was only him and the lady in charge of machine sales, so it was a good chance to talk.  We found that there was a very interesting price on the machine I had in mind, and then we were offered a trade-in for the old machine. An offer we couldn't refuse. Possibly because I bought it there and have always had it serviced there, so they knew the condition and age of the old machine. The new machine fits quite nicely into the table I bought for the old machine, but very few of the gadgets and feet that I've bought for it over the years are of any use with the new machine.  So the next day, I packaged them up, many still in the original packaging.  Not that they hadn't been used, but because I have always kept them that way so that I could tell what they actually were.  When I showed up to exchange the machines, the owner saw them, he immediately grabbed a package of bobbins off the display and gave it to me.  Bonus, as I had been planning to purchase some of them, while there.  My plan had been to take a few days, and slowly work my way through the manual, but this proved very frustrating.  At first it appeared that there had been significant changes in how the two machines worked, but then I figured out that maybe most of the functions were the same but the buttons etc, used to access them, were in different locations. Not really so, just the descriptions and labels in the manual were different, but the same buttons in the same places do the job.  Once I realized that, I decided to do whatever work I need to do, and check the manual only when doing something I'm not sure of.

Regarding the laundry.  The fellow came to check out the washer and decide what parts etc might be needed.  He actually thought that I hadn't hit the re-set button the right way, fooled around with the machine for a bit, and got it running.  But he did say that we needed a new drain hose, and that he would order that and come back when the part arrived--probably in about two weeks.  So when he left, we put a load of wash on, and the whole process came to an abrupt stop within a few minutes.  The next morning David was on the phone early and kept at it until he got an answer at the repair shop.  In the process he found out that the fellow had also ordered a whole new control panel, and we would just have to wait until everything came in for further action. So yesterday, I went out to Gail's, where we used both of her washers, and got 5 loads done in just under two hours.  The sheets were dried, but I brought everything else home, as so much of our clothing needs to be hung to dry.  I'm very much hoping that we now have enough clothing to last until the washer is actually fixed.  I felt very guilty taking advantage of Gail's generosity to such an extent.

After two frantically busy days, and so much stress, I was not in good shape last evening.  The workers kept at it until almost 8:00.  Neither of us felt like cooking , so I went out for fish and chips about 7:00.  I had a short nap after getting home from Gail's--just enough to get me going for the rest of the evening.  

Today, for both of us, has been much more restful.  I slept late and played around on the computer until almost 1:00.  Cleaned the kitchen, and spent a bit of time in the studio, before talking with Gail, during our usual daily phone call.  A very simple supper, and now this, and suddenly, it's time to start thinking about bed.

No regrets.  Be safe ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment