Monday, January 3, 2011

Now for the quiet times-and word association

Pati here
had the family over for supper on Saturday. Afterward Loren's children wanted to play that Munchkin game again. It was a little better the second time around, although they had changed a couple of rules between games, but it was the first time for David--and probably last time. I can see getting into this. I remember how obsessive we all became when we first started playing the Farming Game. Loren and his friends would even make bets and deals at school that meant special considerations the next time they played. Loren once started the game owing his friend Tom 20 acres of hay! And I also remember that we had to order the game from Wheatheart Hydrostatic and Machine in Saskatoon. They got so used to us that they would trust us to send the cheque--a big deal in those days.

Speaking of Tom, he was Loren's best man, and I remember the fuss over getting his hair done. It was almost down to his waist and he wanted a "samurai" style. I still shudder when I see the wedding pictures. By absolute coincidence, he turned out to be a hunting buddy of Darren's.

So, now I haven't been out of the house since Friday morning when we went to buy a salad for Saturday's supper. I have a meeting at the museum tomorrow and plan to piggy-back a trip for some lab work on that. But after that, no more reason to leave the house until a painting class on the 12th. This is a real down side to retirement, but a bit of a plus in Winnipeg in January. Yesterday the tree came down and the Christmas dishes went back into the pantry. I'm also trying to counter cabin fever with a real drive to become more productive in the studio, but I'm procrastinating with cleaning. This morning I tackled the basement bar. I try to do it twice a year, but was about six months behind. David ended up making two trips to the garage with recycl-able crap, and I have a bag to take to the quilters' guild with good junque, and a bag for the thrift shop with plain ordinary junk. I have a lot of hand sewing to do and had carefully planned tv viewing last night, but suddenly realized that I had been using Monday's tv schedule, so we'll try again tonight.

Hope everyone is well (lots of flu around here), and recovering from that food binge we've all been on for the last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment