Wednesday, October 9, 2013

And another adventure--sort of

We have been living quietly, lately, given my difficulty getting around.  today we spent most of the day in the basement cutting fabric in preparation for my going to a "Scrapbusters" quilting retreat at the end of the month.   We have done this sort of cutting marathon before, but had to adapt most of the activities to accommodate my working from a chair.  It went well, and we got the cutting done, but were very tired and sore, so headed upstairs to get supper going.  I got everything ready, ( Y-a-a-y!!) and set the first timer.  Desperate for a nap,  I got into my nightie, and went into the kitchen to respond to the timer.  Door bell rings .  I quickly hide in the kitchen while David responds.  It is some quick speaking young man-- sounds like quite a salesman--what I can hear.  He is from the Hydro and wants to give us new telephone showers, and faucet caps, free of charge.  He will even install  one shower and all bathroom and kitchen faucet caps. Well, last week we had received a notice in the mail box telling us that the Hydro would be around to talk to us about this, so David says yes, and while the kid goes to his truck to get the second telephone shower, I make a dash for the bedroom and promptly fall asleep for the best part of an hour.  When I awake, everything was installed and the fellow gone.  David has a form describing the program and assuring us that there is no charge.  Are we in wonderland?

Anyway, with the kurfuffle. supper got forgotten.  When it came out of the oven, the pork was w-a-a-y overdone. almost inedible. When I cut into the baked potato there was a big bad spot in the middle. Garbage!  And the piece of baked squash, that only I would eat, was succulent, but hardly a main meal of the day.  So I called the local Chinese restaurant and David trudged over to the mall for our supper.

The electricity was re-installed in the garage yesterday, so all that remains to be done is to ramp the driveway, but nothing heard today. David has made an appointment with the overhead door company to come and check out the door and install a heavier motor.  This is something we have talked about for awhile.

Tomorrow I will be seeing the doctor to talk about the cortisone injection for my knees.  I have accepted, emotionally, that I will be needing, at least, a cane, in future.  We still have  the fancy walker that David's father used.  Actually, Loren's ex-father-in-law used it for awhile, as well, but it's still in pretty good shape and easily adaptable for another user.  I'm just resisting that for now.

so for today, I am grateful for having finished the cutting for the projects I plan to work on at the retreat.  This means much less in the way of supplies that I'll have to carry with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment