Sunday, October 13, 2013

glass half full

Today I'm thinking about what we pass along from generation to generation.  To be hair or not to be hair.  Yes, Loren, Sheila, and the children were over Friday night for Chinese food and Farming Game.  I'm afraid I wasn't much of a hostess, I just opened the cupboards and the fridge and said "help yourself".  And yes, Loren seems to have less hair every time I see him.  Yesterday, Amber and I went to a large size clothing exchange.  Seeing all of the large size ladies made me think about how much general build is similar amoungst family members, and how hard it is for any one person to fight the tendency to a large build.  Amber has been paying for, and taking advantage of, a personal trainer.  She tries to always give priority to her gym appointments, and has been doing this for some time.  She finds it a great stress reducer.  She is looking quite good now.  Still has the Findlay/ McGrath (female McGraths, that is) build, but slimmed down.  She is not happy, as her weight doesn't seem to be dropping, but to look at her, I see a tremendous change--for the better.

Thursday, I had a cortisone injection in my left knee.  I thought it was helping, until the local anesthetic wore off.  Spoke to a friend today who has had three such injections and overall, none worked.  We bought me a cane on Thursday, and I am very grateful for the assistance it offers,  having become quite dependent on it quite quickly.  Today, I e-mailed the organizer of a quilting retreat I have paid for at the end of October, asking if there might be a handicap room available on  the main floor. ( I know the venue and know there is such a room, but thought I might enquire gently) There is no way I can carry anything up or down stairs, although, with the cane, I can still manage the stairs, slowly. All of this lead to a conversation about Grandpa Findlay's wheeled walker.  Not only did he use it, but Loren's former father-in-law had used it as well. Talking about it  lead to a trip to the storage locker, and we now have it at home.  The electric scooter was well used when Grandpa bought it 15 years ago, and for sure needs new batteries. We left that in the locker. And the hydraulic (water powered) bath lift has been in the garage for 12 years, and I'm sure rats have gnawed all of the rubber components.

But think about it,  I am now grateful to have inherited a wheeled walker.  I will be the third user, and the second generation.  I wonder how long we can pass such a thing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment