Sunday, October 6, 2013

Winding down

Jim is out hauling potatoes and Glenda is at Jean's and Pete is reading the new National Geographic.  We are have a "thanksgiving" dinner tonight 'cause Pete and Glenda are leaving on Wednesday.  Keri will be coming over too.  I am cooking the last of the big turkeys from the freezer.  I already made my mashed potato casserole and I have brussel sprouts and beans and sliced tomatoes. (and stuffing and gravy!)  I actually thought about cooking up some beets with Auntie Lorrain's sauce on them, but decided it might be a bit messy for a lot of people.  I will make them later this week.  I am taking the Tuesday and Wednesday after thanksgiving off work.  (Unless Patty decides to have the baby early.  The doctor told her it could be anytime in the next 3 or 4 weeks) Jim will be done potatoes then and we might actually drive into Brandon and shop.  Jim will have his potato money burning a hole in his pocket.  He usually buys something for the truck (running board, mud flaps, tonneau cover....) This year he is looking for a patio heater; a new weather station; a work jacket and something else I can't remember.  Yesterday I helped work on the Whitemud storage sheds.  They are getting run down and needed a facelift.  I didn't think I worked as hard as the others, but my shoulders were really sore by last night.  We put a tin roof on the big shed and put vinyl siding on the bottom up to about 4 feet.  Just to protect the wood from all the water splashes.  The siding was used and given to us so the price was right even though we had to cut around some broken pieces.  My job seemed to be the "gofer"  I was sorting through the siding and cutting the pieces and hauling the wood from the shed and handing the wood and metal sheets up to the guys on the roof and the regular grunt work. (and then putting all the stuff we didn't use back into the shed!)  The weird thing is that the kids and I were in the work party that originally build the shed over 20 years ago!!    I guess I should finish pretending to clean up the rec room.  We will be eating down there 'cause the kitchen is way to small for all of us.  I am trying to clean up the dog fur and smell.  Nika is still having a lot of bladder control problems.  It does get to you  after a while.  Today I think I am really grateful that we have this blog.  I miss you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment