Sunday, September 11, 2016

Retirement

Today it is 15 years since I handed in my retirement notice.  It was a Tuesday, and I was effectively gone Friday, even if I managed to keep being paid for another month.  I know the world sees this as the anniversary of another much more life changing event, but it is meaningful to me in a special way, as well. While I spent the next two years in part-time work, this is the important day.

I have ordered several books form the library.  Well, they all arrived at the end of last week.  I had 10 books piled up waiting to be read.  Have taken a good stab at it, and have finished two.

The squirrels and birds are back in the yard, but no sign of ants.  This means I can sit outside, to read and drink my coffee.  One of my goals was to spend more time outside, in the yard, and to a certain extent, I think I've met it.  I've also tried to increase my physical activity, as an alternative to the exercise program that is impossible for me.  Unfortunately this means spending more time doing housework.  It may show, but it always needs doing again.  Now I'm wondering if I should be looking at something more organized.  While I no longer nap every day, once in awhile, I run out of strength, and need a short nap to carry on.  Maybe I should just concentrate on reading the books.

Today I am cooking quinoa to use in a couple of the diet recipes. I'll portion it out and freeze it.  I've had it before, and not minded it at all.  It seems to pick up the flavour of whatever it is served with.  However, I seem to have stalled out again.  I am back to phase 3, as of Friday, and will really have to work it out.  Yesterday, I was really craving sweet.  I had half convinced myself to get a cookie with my coffee, but stopped at the grocery store to buy greens on my way to Starbucks.  As I walked in, in the foyer, weren't they handing out cake for some sort of anniversary celebration.  Little tiny pieces, about an inch square.  Yep, I ate one and it pushed all thought of cookies out of my head.  It was just enough.  I see this as a type of victory.



No comments:

Post a Comment