Friday, March 10, 2017

Weekend Plans

What are our plans, you ask.  Well, I thought about it a bit, and my first clear thought was that definition of insanity--"doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result".  We sit in the house, rarely, if ever, speaking to another person other than the clerk at the grocery store.  We play poker and Candy Crush.  We read the news on the computer and in the Free Press. We even order library books through our computers, making it a rare occurrence that we speak to the librarian on our twice weekly visits. We don't need any groceries, and have lots of books to read-so no outings of that sort planned, this weekend.  Yesterday, for excitement, David put the homemade grocery bags through the washer, and today the turned the mattress. He was into poker by 10:00 this morning. ( He won!  I never win!) I am amost looking forward to having my teeth cleaned on Tuesday.  What a way to spend your birthday!

Is it any wonder why I value this blog, and the monthly get- togethers with my stitchery group and fibre art group?   Cathy, no matter how much you complain about the time you spend at work, and at the Legion, they are both social contact, and I see the value of that more and more as I age. Treasure the anticipation and interaction around your Cribbage tournaments.  

One guideline that's been suggested for creativity blocks is to "just do something', even if that's just sorting fabric or cleaning the studio. In consideration of that idea, and in terms of changing the way things are done in the studio, ( remember that definition at the beginning of this post?), I have gone back to the the jar of "prompts" that I made awhile ago, and haven't dared touch ever since.  This was little pieces of paper with an idea or suggestion written on each one.  The idea is that, when you're in a "blue funk", and don't have any ideas of what to do next, you reach into the jar and pull out a piece of paper and do whatever it says.  I found a much larger jar, as the little one I had been using was packed full, and getting anything in or out was a challenge.  So, it's now sitting there, staring at me, and daring me to pull an idea.  I'm just having trouble actually reaching into it.  What if, whatever I pull isn't something I want to do?  What a stupid way to think!!

So, I think my next project will be making sign to tape on the mirror in the upstairs studio that says "JUST DO IT!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment