Friday, January 3, 2020

Shepard's Pie

Lately, the beef roast we've been getting is usually so tough that Shepard's Pie is our "go-to" means of dealing with left overs.  David says that no-one is taught how to cut meat these days, and I don't know enough about it to debate it with him.   I've seen the kids serve what they call is Shepard's Pie made with hamburger. The taste is quite different, as is the taste made with Lamb--the original meat in the pie.

Our overnight trip was a mixed blessing.  We had a good time, and ate well with special coupons.  Neither of the meals we bought was expensive, and the food was good and plentiful.  But--I forgot my nightie, and my sleep aide.  David let me use his nightshirt,and he used an extra large T-shirt he had with him.  We were in bed just after mid-night, but I didn't get to sleep until about 4:00 am.  The pillows were very plump--too plump for me to sleep with them, so I ended up rolling up my housecoat and using it as a pillow.  That's what finally helped me get to sleep.  But, we've agreed that we might do it again sometime.  The price was certainly right.

Now we'er back to life as usual.  The tree came down yesterday, and the Christmas dishes were put away today.  This was after a quick trip to sleep country store.  When changing the linen today, we discovered a bit rip in one of the sheets for the big bed.  There were no spares for that bed, even though we have a couple of pair for the smaller bed.  They weren't cheap, but still cheaper than the first set I picked up--bamboo and on sale for $229.00 for the set.

This is also the time that I try to get back into my healthy eating regime.  So the cupboards, pantry, and fridge were cleaned out today.  Any forbidden food disposed of, either via the garbage or the Winnipeg Harvest bin at the local grocery store.  It's not as easy as it once was finding Cod in the grocery stores, and the weather means that spinach is starting to turn from frost damage before you can even get it through the door.

Yesterday, after getting home, we took my sewing machine in for a "spa treatment".  I knew it was badly needed, so had planned to do something with all of the bits and pieces left over from my piecing frenzy over the last 6 months.  I set up the old Pfaff and started getting a couple of very small things pieced, when I decided to try a newer technique with the fabric I bought while in the store.  I guess I really am addicted.

Now for supper, and a quiet evening.  I'm still feeling my lack of sleep.  Maybe old age?

No comments:

Post a Comment