Friday, January 31, 2020

Friday's adventure


My need to get something ( anything!) going in the studio is making me  little crazy. My friend Gail and I are wanting to do some bead making. I have wanted to make sure that I have very thing to do it, and this morning finally found everything.  No need to buy any thing.  

But I'm also thinking of doing some batik dyeing, so have been looking for a source for soy wax, as it's easier to use, and more environmental friendly.

  Anything I've read or heard uses things like some kitchen gadgets as stamps to apply the wax to the fabric.  Earlier this week, I bought a little slow cooker to use with the wax, but it was so pretty that I decided to use it in the kitchen instead. Besides, the outside of the piece is decorated with a blue design, and looks good.  If you don't look too closely, you can't tell that it's actually a design about the movie "Frozen II". However, I had found a small slow cooker that I didn't know I had, and will use that with the wax.

David was up early today, to take the car in for an oil change.  Almost as soon as he got home, I asked him to take me to Micheal's to see if they had any Soy wax flakes. So I took the little coupon cut out of the newspaper, and found a 4lb box of soy wax flakes.  When we got up to pay, the clerk actually had a coupon that saved even more. 

 Next, we hit Dollarama to check out kitchen gadgets.


A new owl bag, of course, but not much else of use to me.  Some wooden trees and leaves, look pretty good for using as stamps, and the little plastic dressing containers should be  good for making circles.




These brushes will be great for spreading hte melted wax.


We found a whole bag of kitchen spoons and spatulas, but the re-usable bag they came in might be useful as well.  The things that came in it are now in the kitchen. 

So the next step was to visit thrift stores for useful gadgets.  We visited three different thrift stores without any precious finds, but I did pick up a bible and a dictionary.  I can pull pages out and use them in collages.


Of course, we stopped at Tim's for lunch, and on our way home Starbucks for a coffee which was brought home.  Now David is reading/napping in front of the tv, while I try to sort everything out in the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment