Thursday, February 13, 2020

found It!

Thanks for the "heads up", Cathy.  There for posterity.

My Fibre Art Divas meeting was last night, out in Charleswood.  Very close to where I used to visit, and often stay the night, with my teenage friend, Kathy Irwin.  Brought back a few memories, more of her father, rather than her, and playing poker with a couple of fellows from the neighbourhood. I dated one for awhile, who was attending Moler Barber School, just off Main Street, where City Hall is now.  It was that spooky old Victorian City Hall then and a fairly unsavoury neighbourhood. but they always liked having female customers, so Kathy and I would go to get our hair trimmed once in awhile. I remember seeing Daddy gave him a set of barber tools, including a few straight razors.  I also remember watching a female student shaving "shaving" a balloon with a straight razor.  This was how they learned to shave a face.

During the meeting, I realized something about myself.  I'm losing the ability to socialize in a larger group of people. There were 10 of us, and I found myself talking over people and interrupting.  I also found myself with no idea what people were talking about, both because I was tired, and because they were discussing something I had no experience with, or my brain took a "time out".  I confess that there were a few times that a technique that had them very excited, was of no interest to me. Certainly, a lot of this can be written up to my getting old, but some of it was more a matter of "been there, done that". Not sure what to do about this, other than seek out situations where I'm with a group for socialization, such as the Monday Free craft Group I sometimes attend out in Lorette.  But the ladies did like my Batiks.

On re-reading that paragraph, I realize that my basic egocentricity is showing more than it should.  That's probably a big part of the issue--one that is becoming worse as I age. (dis-inhibition?)

Nothing planned for today.  David bought some special spray for our out-door shoes, and has spoken about applying it today.  It takes 6 applications with 1/2 hour between each.  He'll do his boots (plural) first, and then my shoes.  This may mean no trip to Starbucks, even with a buy one, get one, special this afternoon.  But then I can't afford the calories involved in that sort of special, anyway.

So off to visit Facebook, and then maybe a shower before starting the day off with housework.

No comments:

Post a Comment