Friday, February 7, 2020

I'm reading a book

It's "The Chilbury Ladies Choir" by Jennifer Ryan.  It was recommended by our local librarian, so I was not optimistic, and it took a few pages until I got the variety of characters  who were narrating, but once I got into it I really couldn't put it down.  It takes place during the early part of WWII, and deals with how the women, who are left behind deal, with the changes that wartime brings to their village.  It has a not entirely subtle feminist bent, as the men have all left, and the ladies are forced to deal with things that they have never dealt with before.  There is also a less obvious current dealing with the changes is social standards that the changing social structure creates.  On the surface it is a somewhat exciting story, but there are some very deep thought expressed.  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment