Saturday, February 15, 2020

Unsettling news

Not really what you wanted to hear, Beth, but my eyes hung onto that word "may".  So there is reason to hope.  And, as you suggest, we carry on, whatever life throws at us.  And it sounds like you're getting more time with Mike than you're used to.  Think of it as a gift.

We can't really say that any of us has lead a "charmed life", although each of us has experienced a few high spots.  Old wisdom says that we wouldn't appreciate those high spots so much if we didn't have the low spots to measure them against.  We each resent the life our mother thrust on us, unknowingly, of course.  I wonder if she could have predicted how she would spend the last 20 years of her life, or of the effect that her illness had on the lives of her children.  Or how she might have responded had she known that she carried the gene for such a disabling disease.  (Boy, am I ever getting morbid/maudlin.) The joy in all of this is that we now know that none of us had inherited it, and the likelihood of our children inheriting it it is minimal.

The cold continues, although today is a little milder.  I remember when we could count on a "Bonspiel Thaw" in association with Festivale du Voyager. I remember working on marshaling the parade in shirt sleeves. It was almost a local joke.  Well, my memory says that the last few years, the oldest days of the winter came about the time of Festivale.  Climate Change?

Yesterday I got a haircut.  I had rehearsed what I was going to say to the hairdresser about not liking the style she had given me last time, and wanting something different. Well, turns out it was her day off, and the younger woman did my hair.  So far I love what she did.  It appears to be exactly what I had asked for.  The cut took away the last of the lighter highlights I had, and the grey really shows.  I'll see how I like it, but may consider a colour again in a few months.

Quiet times here.  Too cold for gallivanting, and my diet eliminates the  idea of eating out, which we've been enjoying a little more of lately. We both spend a lot of time reading.  The third and final book of the Nora Roberts series, "The One" finally arrived.  I was absolutely enthralled by the first book "The One", which described world wide Armageddon by disease, and how the few people left started to re-build.  The last two books were excellent, but a bit less enthralling, as the plot turned to a more mystical/magical future.  Their titles were "Of Blood and Bone', and "The Rise of Magicks".  People used to dismiss her as a writer of romances, but her plots and character development are first class.  No wonder she's such a successful writer.

In the studio, I discovered a plastic bag full of small hexies, all within an orange/yellow/red colour range with highlights of green.  A group of them had been sewn into a rectangle that is just the right size for a cover for my sketchbook.  That may end up as my project for today.  I've tried to do this a few times in the past, with mixed success, so vainly carry on searching for the right technique or pattern.

Looking at the clock, I guess it's time to move on.  I see that it's started to snow again.  We've had a van parked right at the foot of our driveway for over  a week now.  We thought it had been abandoned, until we realized that it was being started remotely, periodically, so must belong to someone local.  More snow will just make getting out of the driveway more difficult.  Damn!

Have a good day ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment