Monday, October 12, 2020

A different Thanksgiving--somewhat

 Since we knew that we wouldn't be seeing family this year, Gail came over for a bit of a games night.  While I wanted it to be somewhat informal, it was still Thanksgiving, so we ( the royal "we") cooked the small turkey in the morning, and carefully sliced the breasts for sandwiches.  I stocked up on veggies, salsa, buns, taco ships and regular chips and made old fashioned onion dip to go with the veggies. We started a "Farming Game" when she arrived and played for 4 hours straight.  I had setout veggies trays etc, and we ate while we played. Gail brought some almond tarts she bought at St. Norbert Market while working there on Saturday.  They made a nice dessert, and we just passed around the open package. This was a different evening in our lives, and I think in hers as well.  She had told me of memories of playing "Monopoly" with her family when they were young, so I thought that "The Farming Game" might go over well--and it did.  Her quick thinking, and ability to do four things at once, left David and I in the dust, but I tried to keep it low key and agree to whatever goes.  A really good evening, as far as I'm concerned.

Yesterday a couple of the ladies came over to pick up their pieces from the show I brought home last week, from Portage.  I had sent an e-mail, saying that, while I could hold onto them until we had another face-to-face meeting, I would rather they picked them up asap. One of them showed up with two pieces of home made pumpkin pie.  So we have something to look forward to today, along with the left over turkey.  I do plan to make soup.  Haven't done that in a few years, but with lots of left over turkey and veggies, it just seems the right thing to do.

Earlier in the week, I was feeling a little overwhelmed ( a lot overwhelmed), given the renovations and subsequent repairs going on.  I had reached the point of not being able to worry about anything more and not really wanting to make any sort of decision about anything.  David sort of took over for me, for about 36 hours, while I sat in front of the tv, and vegged out. I came out of it realizing that there was no way I could continue to worry about everything, especially things like American politics, over which I had no control.  I'm trying to work on that, and feeling much better overall.  However, Mom was sitting on my shoulder yesterday explaining what I should be doing about setting up the meal.  Boy!  I was sure channeling her while setting up veggie and chip plates.  But I told David what was going on, and we had a good laugh about it.  In the past, I've taken great pleasure in creating a meal and the setting for it, paying attention to every detail, (and making everyone around me crazy). But I have no regrets about the informality of yesterday.  David had extra work cooking and carving the turkey, but, given the care and attention he gave that, I think it gave him a sense of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment