Thursday, October 1, 2020

Cranberries

 The dehydrator is full of cranberries drying after a spur of the moment trip to the "Cranberry Capital of Ontario" in Bala. This is a little town about 2 hours south and then west that we had visited several years ago and is a real tourist place. The actual marshes are about another 20 Km west of the town hidden off the road in the bush. Also on this property is the Muskoka Winery which opened years ago to make wine from the cranberries and has expanded greatly. This is a big place with stores and eating places and tours and buggy rides around the marshes etc but today it was a fast trip into the store only ( covid restrictions adhered to strictly) and then into a portable outhouse for a quick relief becore heading home. I did have to divert into Huntsville to get gas though as we were running close to empty.

It all started when Harry expressed a desire for cranberries after buying a bag in the store that turned out to be less than fresh. he suggested we go up to the Callandar Marshes where we used to trudge into the bush and marshes and pick our own for years and years. I immediately put a stop to that knowing that I could not walk for miles and then pick and then walk back and Harry cannot even bend these days and he sure could not do it like we did years ago. So I suggested we just drive to this place and buy the ready picked and packaged berries. So what if it costs - paying the price here is better than "paying the price" to endurance and pain thresholds otherwise. (not to mention the tension it may create) So off we went in the early afternoon and through some rainy parts and sunny parts we made it there and shopped and back by 5:30 pm. Then the cranberries went into the dehydrator. He bought three huge bags, I bought some cranberry juice ( I always keep the real stuff on hand for when I may need it) and a bag of chocolate covered berries to nibble on on the way home. Harry drove there and then I did the driving back -  by driving myself I am more relaxed because I do not have to be the navigator which happens when Harry drives.

So today I would like to continue with yard work but the weather has other plans such as more rain. Maybe I should just sit and finish my chocolate covered berries haha! I still have not heard about the Gamache book I ordered from the Library, and fear that we may see the closing of thes places soon if the government holds true to its desire to curb the current rise in covid cases or, the 'second wave" Premier Ford tells us they do not want to turn the "wave" into a "tsunami" I agree. So take care my sisters and be safe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment