Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Arg-g-g-g-h!

 Well, it's 6:06 am, I've read the paper, and finished my first cup of tea, as well, as completing my Morning Pages for today.  I've been awaked since about 3:30, being just too uncomfortable to sleep, despite taking my regular dose of Tylenol about  4:00.  Not a good start to the day, but at the same time, I know I have the freedom to nap a little later.  Writing my Morning Pages, I realized that I have at least two major pieces planned, as well as a vague idea of two or three smaller ones, as well as the supplies to make them.  The order from Artists" Emporium arrived in my mail box about 7:30 last night, and Post Office tracking tells me that my order from G&S in Toronto should be here Thursday.  The other big news is that yesterday I ordered a Kindle off Amazon.ca.  Do you think my credit card might be smoking a bit? Life today requires a credit card, but at some point you really have to "pay the piper".  I have no idea how to use the Kindle, and hope it comes with some sort of instructions. Besides which, at this point, I have no books to read that way, but once the library opens, I should be able to get quite a few.  I'm hoping that David might be able to use it as well, as there is one book on Amazon.ca that he very much wants, but refuses to pay the price for ( I agree, highway robbery).

For reading, I just finished the Pulitzer Prize winning "Caste The Origins of our Discontents" by Isabel Wilkerson (from the library). This explores the relationships between racism in America, the Caste system in India, and the use of a developed caste system in Nazi Germany.  Are you turned off yet?  I almost couldn't put it down. Toward the end I got to the point that I knew I needed a bit of a break, so I started reading "Return" by Nicholas Sparks.  I had bought this just before lockdown, knowing that at some point I might need a bit of an uplifting break, as I had bought so many gritty books.  I read the introduction, and then went back to the other book, which I finished last night.  So, the first book was excellent and gave me many, many insights into how a "caste" system was created and imposed on America, just as it was created and imposed on Germany, and why it developed in India. You'll notice my very careful use of the words "imposed" and "developed".  Fascinating, and oh so, true!  But very, very gritty, and horrifying.  Hard to read at one go.  The Sparks book, however much we ridicule his writing, now has me very interested.  It was just what I needed for gentle, thoughtful relationship reading.  I may not read another one for years, but this was just what I needed now.

Well, talk about a "brain dump".  I think I may take a minute to read a bit of "The Artists Way", as I'm trying to get through that, a little bit every day, tracking everything in my BuJo.  Yes, that system is still keeping me in line, and helping me get things done.  It's now going up 7:00, so maybe I can get some breakfast without interfering with my meal schedule  too much.  Have a good day, ladies.


No comments:

Post a Comment