Saturday, October 14, 2017

A beautiful end to fall

Woke up this morning to snow, which kept falling, off and on, for several hours.  It was heavy enough that the trees were covered,and looking out my kitchen window, the sight of the yellow/ orange leaves against the darker evergreens was beautiful, so much so, that I took a picture.

The Nanking Cherry bushes

and the 
spirea

Then, after breakfast we headed out for a couple of errands, as the forecast was for more snow later in the day.  (Didn't happen, and ow a lot of it has melted)  I fell in love with one of the cords I made yesterday, and immediately thought of the next reliquary.  I have it almost planned in my mind, but I needed to go to the only embroidery store in town for more perle cotton, to form more cords over.  When we got there--surprise!  A big portable sign in front saying that the owner is retiring at the end of December and the store was for sale!  She later told us that her dream is to cycle from one end of Cuba to the other, with her husband.  But, the down side was that she was reluctant to order the thread in for me, as she is trying to reduce inventory, pending the sale/closing of the store.  So I have order a whole box of the stuff--in dark burnt orange--not the most useful colour to have.  So all the way home I was thinking about, and planning how to use it.

In 1985, I went to an embroidery seminar in Edmonton.  On the final day, with a bit of time to spare before our flight home, A friend and I went to the newly opened West Edmonton Mall.  I think we only had time to visit 2-3 store,but one of the was a fabric store, and I bought some lovely, dark burnt orange, textured, Tussa Silk, and lining to match.  I have no idea what it was intended for, but found it earlier this year while culling stuff in the basement studio.  This summer I bought a pattern for an indoor jacket to wear to the opening reception of the upcoming gallery show, and today started to cut it out.  This was spurred by the hope that there would be enough that I could also cut out the basic body of the reliquary I have planned.  This afternoon was spent cutting it out.  I must have been out of my mind to have ever bought it in the first place.  What a PINTA!!  There is enough for the reliquary, but not in this lifetime!  I'm now exhausted, but tomorrow I'll attempt to sew it together.  It will be an adventure, but, if the whole thing ends up in the garbage, I figure it will be no loss, but, if it actually gets finished, I'll have a new outfit for the reception.

So wish me luck at poker for the next couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment