Monday, October 16, 2017

The duvet

I slept better last night under the duvet than I have awhile, but now they're predicting temps about 10 degrees above normal the for the next week. Figures!  Another putter-y day.  I got on a roll with Candy Crush this morning and ended up playing for about an hour, before giving it up.  Still had over an hour of infinite lives, but my hands were sore and I was feeling guilty. 

 I'm excited about the reliquary I have planned but really can't do anything until I receive the thread I ordered.  I'm going to work "by the book", and draft patterns and sketch out designs, so I can work ahead with that.  

I  read about a Scandinavian tradition of " death cleaning", in the paper recently.  This goes along with the Scandinavian tradition of independence, the thought being that you clean up after yourself, and that includes not leaving any sort of  "mess" for your family after you die.  This can mean any type of mess, but the article focused on literal mess, such as I have in my studio.  This can be a slow process over several years, but you can actually start at any point in life.  I felt strangely comforted by reading this, as I have started the process, and now don't feel unusual in doing it.  And I don't do it every day, but rather plan all of my projects to use up as much of the "stash" as possible.  But frequently I pick a small project, and put it on the daily "to do" list.  Today, I sorted through two 12 by 12 storage boxes off the top shelf in the upstairs studio closet.  One contained four separate small collage pieces, with all of the fabric and embellishment chosen, but very little actual work done.  These have been in the closet for a few years, so I have to accept that nothing is ever going to get done on them.  Most of the individual items have been sorted out and returned to the place they came from, ready to be considered for another project.  Several got put into the box for the new reliquary, and some got thrown in the garbage. The other storage box contained a small quilt, half assembled, but all of the fabric cut and ready to go.  I guess this is what I'll work on while waiting for my thread.

Unfortunately we found a load of washing that had been left in the washer since last Friday.  Whoops!  Got that re-washed and then put the fabric for David's new night shirts in.  That project is on the list too.  But tomorrow we take David to his appointment at the sleep apnea clinic.  There was a detailed questionnaire for us to fill out, and that is ready.  As well we plan to take a copy of his assessment results from last December, as they seem to get lost every time we take them in to the clinic (!?)  They may well want to re-assess him, after all this time, but I think we can be sure that he hasn't experienced a miraculous recovery.  Then we rush home so I can be out at my friend Susanne's for our monthly stitchery group by 1:00.  I really don't think there will be any problem, but it might be a bit tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment