Thursday, July 19, 2018

Idle thoughts, and insignificant tidbits

So glad to hear that you got out to visit, Beth.  These short stimulating interactions keep me going.

Tuesday a couple of my stitching friends and I visited Kathy, a long term hand stitcher, and member of the Embroiderers' Guild.  She lives quite close to me.  I'm not sure if her building is a co-op, or condo, but she certainly has a nice home, and well set up for someone who uses a walker.  She had a sort of plate rail that ran all around her living room, but with framed embroideries, rather than plates.  We sat down, and she served us ice tea, and shortly after, I knocked over my tea allover the chair I was in, my purse and fabric bag, and her floor.  It took three of us about 20 minutes to clean it all up.  Because of the walker, she has laminate floor, Thank Goodness. That event took the formality out of the visit.  Part of the time was spent reminiscing about stitchers we had known, many since passed on, and the pleasure they brought to our lives.  Obviously we're all getting older

Seeing all of her finished embroideries brought back to me the great pleasure I always found in hand stitching, and an itch to try it again.  A current problem with that is my lack of a thimble.  Last time I took my antique thimble to  the jeweler to have a hole fixed, he told me that the 180 year old gold was too fragile to fix again.  I can use it for small jobs, but avoid using it too often.  I had another one that I bought years ago from an English vendor, at a trade show.  We don't know what happened to it, but have suspicion that it fell in the garbage, and is long gone. Yesterday, I saw an ad on The Quilt Show, for thimbles.  The shape looked workable, and they had it in XS.  I ordered one.  Not cheap, especially with exchange and shipping.  I also remember the hassle you had, Beth with customs.  I sure hope it fits.

I've given away most of my stitching supplies, but still have embroidery floss, and a box of various silk threads.  I've also kept one project, tucked away for several years now.  I've brought it out and fondles it a few times, but could never bring myself to get rid of it.  Thinking about it, not really doing anything-yet.

I'm pissed!  Somehow, we ran out of boneless chicken breasts.  This is the meat we eat most often, thus, a crisis.  So Monday we went shopping and bought more, paying a healthy price for them--almost $60 for 16 breasts c/w filet, i.e. 10 meals/20 servings.  Yesterday, we found them on sale at a different store for the cheapest price I've see in years--$25 for 14 breasts c/w filet, i.e. 9 meals/18 servings.  That was at $3.98/lb.  I get excited when they come in a $4.88/lb. While we were out we also stopped a The Bulk Barn, ( Seniors' Discount day)and along with my nuts, I got two Panda Licorice bars.  I have them tucked away for the right time as well.

After shopping, I spent quite a bit of time reading in the garden.  In the end the ants won.  I sure wish I could afford to have Poulin's out again, but I've got to pay for that darn thimble.

And I think of Cathy, seeing the ocean and mountains, neither of which am I ever likely to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment