Monday, September 7, 2020

Again, not doing much (long)

Right now we're just sort of drifting.  There's little needing to be done, of a serious nature, so we're enjoying some down time.  I've been working on the FMQ'g of my small modern quilts that I've mentioned before.  I think I've been going at it too hard as Saturday evening my shoulder and neck muscles went into a spasm that resulted in a monstrous headache that went from my shoulder blade over the right side of my head and almost into my face. I just couldn't find a position to sleep in, even trying to sleep in David's recliner.  Finally, about 4:00 am, I took a T3 and then dozed until 7:20, when the phone rang.  Our regular Sunday morning automatic sales call.  Back to bed and slept like a log until 9:30.  This was a bit scary as you think of all the terrible things that it could be for an older person, including brain cancer ( a one sided vicious headache).  But the stiff muscles and low grade pain was a nuisance yesterday, so I took it easy, spending 2 1/2 hours with Gail at Starbucks, while David did a large grocery shopping. Gail, bless her heart (small snark) spent the time polishing my big silver tray with Twinkle--on a table in Starbucks.  When David got back to us, she brought in her whole  pendant display, and we had a long conversation about what whether they were better with cord around the neck or chain ( chain, definitely) She is carefully cutting out circles from broken fine china for the pendant piece.  I now have one in my jewel box.

It's always a bit of an adventure when David goes grocery shopping on his own.  I don't think I'll ever run out of either toilet bowl cleaner or dishwasher pods, but both will keep quite nicely, in the basement, until they're needed.  He did find out that our Walmart has re-opened, including the pharmacy, and was finally able to return that silly little Starfrit chopping device that we couldn't figure out how to work.  

I read today in the computer news,(MSN) that it is looking like the general working life of the daily office commute will probably be changed forever as a very good percentage of workers will continue to work from home. It is both cheaper to operate, and far less stressful for both the workers and the companies that they work for. The article expressed great fear for the smaller businesses that support the office workers, from restaurants to dry cleaners.  Just think of the effect on society as whole!  It made me think about the changes for me as a consumer, and how much more dependent we will have to become on our electronic communication skills.  This is a little scary.  The other emerging group will be less-skilled workers out of work, and the suddenly emerging demands on social welfare systems, both manpower wise and cost, especially to the tax payer.  There will also be advantages in terms of less pressure on the environment, which would be a good thing.  

This all leads me to worry about my ability to exist on a fixed income, as a property owner.  But--when I think of the changes in society over my life time, I realized that I have witnessed some of the greatest societal changes ever to occur.

On the other hand, I continue to read books by Dorothea Benton Frank.  They are somewhat formulaic, as they all deal with significant positive changes that happen to middle aged women in the Low Country around Charleston South Carolina.  But they are full of optimism, hope and faith--all uplifting and hopeful in their own way.  something I think I need right now. The various characters are amusing, and demonstrate that no family is perfect, and everyone has a lunatic in the background, somewhere.

This is long enough.  Time to get on with the day, even if that means another cup of tea and my book.  Maybe I'll get dressed later.

No comments:

Post a Comment