Saturday, December 26, 2009

Winter

This was actually the first really poor weather Christmas we have had in a while. It has been really cold, but not storming in a while. I have blisters on my hands from peeling, cutting and mashing all the potatoes. We got to Chicken Delight at about 12:45. Dinner was supposed to be from 3 to 5or 6 and deliveries at 4pm. Well........... of course we were late, but we were over an hour late. Nothing seemed to go right. I got Jean to turn the carrots on early this year, but unfortunately it seems another volunteer thought they were on too low, and turned them off.! Then Jean wanted all the deliveries out before whe let the people eat... with the weather what it was, Jim had over 20 deliveries to make. People kept phoning. I guess they waited to see if they could get out and then decided not. About 20 minutes after he left, Jim phoned to say he was stuck. The Neepawa Press photographer was there (a family friend of Jim's for years.... One of Tim's friends) Well, with the help of the translater, he got 4 of the Ukrainian immigrants into his 4 wheel drive truck and off the went to free Jim.. It seems all they did was lift up the car and move it out! Allan then took 3 of the deliveries that were on side roads, and left Jim the ones to the Manor and Kinsman Courts and the main street. MEanwhile, the handi van had returned to pick up people and they hadn't even eaten yet. Maybe next year things will go smoother. Jean didn't have much left over meat again, but wouldn't you know that there would be a whole bunch of the darn carrots left! It makes for a long day, but it is fun (in a warped kind of way) I have some ideas for next year, One involves not cooking carrots! Today I plan on puttering at home which is a good thing since it is still blowing out. Maybe tomorrow clean the office and then Monday will be my day to do nothing. Both Keri & Kris phoned yesterday which was nice, even though Kris and I played a bit of phone tag. I picked up the phone and it went dead. So I called him back and he picked up the phone and started dialing.. I was saying "Stop Dialinig... I'm talking to you" He started to laugh and hung up the phone. I called him back and we finally connected. He says he heard me talking and was going to answer but accidently hung up. It was worth all the confusion though. They had 12 yesterday and are expecting 29 today You know, this is fun. It's aready after 9 am and I haven't done a thing except make tea and drink it. I could get used to this. Jim is up now I think I will go and be nice to him! Love Ya

No comments:

Post a Comment