Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Adventures in cleaning

My holidays started with big plans.  As usual most of my time has been spent sitting outside reading.  I think it was because I decided to clean the tops of my kitchen cabinets.  As I inched along the edge of the counter, half bent over, scrubbing the tops of the cabinets I just happened to hold the top of the door instead of the cabinet.  Of course the door opened a bit.  Unfortunately it was the door right beside the big tub of water I was using.  Yep.... right off the edge and all over the floor.  I am not sure Jim knew that I knew words like that.  Spent the next 10 minutes moping up dirty water.  Lots of fun.  One thing seems to lead to another.  To make room for my new dishes I had to move everything around.  Taking stuff downstairs made me realise that I needed to straighten up my pantry.  While doing that I realised that I had a number of things that were stale dated so it was time to check everything and toss stuff.  Another afternoon shot on something I had no intention of doing.   BUT!!! Jim and I have eaten our first meal off of our new dishes.  Sitting at the kitchen table with placemats and everything!  Today we painted the trim around our doors and patio window.  We didn't do a great job but at least it is painted for the winter.  Then I had the bright idea of touching up the shop doors.  Two hours later the doors are poorly painted and we realise that the doors are actually in pretty bad shape and need replacing.  Good thing I painted them so they will last the winter (and probably a couple more years after that) By noon every inch of my body ached and I was exhausted.   I never even went to town today.  I have been checking the mail regularly because Jim got new glasses.  Because he is over 65 he is eligible for the government subsidy for seniors They have maximums payable and then pay 80% of that amount, less a $50 deductable so we are looking at maybe a $40 cheque.  Unfortunately I cannot submit my blue cross claim without claiming the amount from subsidy.  I have a $500 claim waiting on this cheque.  I really need the blue cross cause I put the glasses on Visa and need to pay it.  Vicious circle.  I sure hope the cheque comes soon.  So many petty things but the sure add up.  Tomorrow it is supposed to be very hot so anything I do outside will have to be done early.  I have lots of work to do in the house so maybe I can do some of that tomorrow.  Or, I can sit and read.  I will see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment