Thursday, August 18, 2016

Funny coincidence

We had just returned from the library, when I read your blog, Beth.  While at the library I had my name put on the waiting list for the new Gamache novel.  The library has the book on order, and I'm number 189 on the list.  But he re-assured me that there are 80 copies on order, so I shouldn't have to wait too long.  I was also just returning "The Nature of the Beast".  I had read it before, probably the second book in the series that I read, after "A Beautiful Mystery".  Having now read the whole series, I got so very much more out of reading "The Nature of the Beast" a second time.  This time I knew how much depth there is of the symbolism in her writing, and how strong the role of poetry is, as well.  If I hadn't read the other books, the last page, where Ruth invites Evie to move in with her, would have been quite meaningless, but, in fact, it is an unbelievably strong finish to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment