Sunday, August 7, 2016

Street Dance

The rain came about 7 pm last evening - just in time to wash out the planned street dance at 8 pm.  We do not go, but I think the alternative venue was the arena. As part of the Sunflower Festival, the street dance is usually a popular event. We walked to the Festival yesterday morning. So many vendors they had to not only stretch further down the main street but also spillover into the waterfront park. 
There were a few moments when I was completely happy and at ease with life - silly little things that you grab for yourself and enjoy. First there were the small aircraft flying over - this is part of the COPA (Canadian Owners and Pilots Association) Fly In that takes young folks for free plane rides. I used to participate in several of these events when I was a member of the flying community. I think fondly of my flying days. Then on the little stage were performers - one being a group of musicians old and young playing the fiddle together under direction of a lady I knew.  When I got my very first violin many, many years ago, I approached a lady at Church who I knew played. Her family had a group The Stover Family Band that played at all the local events. I asked her then if she would teach me a few initial steps to get me going.  She wasn't really a teacher but very graciously welcomed me to her home every week over the summer and fall season, and I paid her for the hour lesson. She lived way in the outback of the next town - quite a drive for me to take and even once the road had almost washed out. I stopped when she felt she could show me no more , plus winter was coming and I didn't want to traverse the road. So I stood at the Festival yesterday and enjoyed the fiddle tunes they wee playing - many of which I used to play when I was actively taking lessons in North Bay.  I would love to pick up my violin again.  So I took great pleasure in these two events.
I did all the watering in the afternoon - things were so dry. And that bit of rain ( did not last long)will also help things a bit. 
This morning we go back down to the waterfront for 8;30 am to cheer on the Dutch neighbour who is entering the 10 Km FUN RUN. He has been running each morning in practice for today and is very excited. He doesn't look it, but in speaking with Harry one day he told him he was 74 years old. Good for him. 
Friday at supper time the fruit lady telephoned from the Log
 house at the Lake. Harry didn't feel like going so I got in the car and away I went on my own. She too was alone as her husband went to Huntsville. She was a little upset, and asked me to sit a while - and she vented to me.  I listened. There are times when your listening ear is all a person wants. It was a pleasant visit - looking out on the lake and enjoying my time there, although at the same time providing some needed support for her. Funny how situations present themselves when you least expect it.  You have to keep your mind open to appreciate and respond to it, when it comes,I guess?
Well, it is early again - seems to be my time to get onto the computer and write. Time for my coffee and relax before the day begins.  Take care  (ps. no wins this weekend - I'll try again next weekend haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment